Monday, June 27, 2011

COUNTRY STRONG



The first time I saw the ad for COUNTRY STRONG, I immediately made a mental note to see the movie. Like so often is the case, I didn't make it to the theater. Lucky for me, my library had the DVD. I'm a country lover and that was my main attraction to COUNTRY STRONG. I also like Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim McGraw. Both great actors.

What little I knew of the movie was that it was about a country singer Kelly Canter, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, coming out of rehab for alcohol addiction. Her husband and manger, played by Tim McGraw, is driven to push Kelly to her limit to become a success in her music career.

I didn't known Gwyneth sang, and was surprised to discover that not only does she sing, but she's quite good. But Gwyneth wasn't the only one who could sing. A second set of characters had their own storyline.

The slow growing romance between Chilies Stanton, played by Leighton Meester, and Beau Hutton, played by Garrett Hedlund, will warm your heart as you are taken along on their compelling stories. I thought the main focus would be on Gwyneth's character, Kelly, which in part was why the added story of Chiles and Beau was such a pleasant surprise. Their back-story, their growing romance, and great voices had me wanting a story of their own. With Leighton's beautiful voice, and Garrett's unique gravely sound, purchasing the soundtrack is a must.

COUNTRY STRONG was a great movie but what really won me over was the ending. There's nothing like a final shocker, as well as a happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment