Monday, December 21, 2015

SPEAKING WELL: ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SPEAKERS, LEADERS, AND PREACHERS by ADAM HAMILTON

Title: Speaking Well: Essential Skills for Speakers, Leaders, and Preaches
Author: Adam Hamilton
Publisher: Abingdon Press; Gld edition (October 20, 2015)
Pages: 96

SPEAKING WELL: ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SPEAKERS, LEADERS, AND PREACHERS is not the first book I have read by ADAM HAMILTON, and certainly won’t be the last. In fact I just completed The Call: The Life and Message of the Apostle Paul, before this one and it won’t stop here. MR HAMILTON has a whole list of great titles, diving into important topics.

What I love about MR HAMILTON’S books is the simplistic, yet powerful and impactful way he delivers a message, and SPEAKING WELL: ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SPEAKERS, LEADERS, AND PREACHERS is no exception.

As my role as a leader continues to grow, I am finding myself to do more and  more of what I never imagined I would do…speaking in public. If there is one thing I learned early on, it is that I am one that needs to be prepared, no matter how quick/short my talk is to be. In fact, perhaps the shorter the talk, the more important the words you chose become.

Upon receiving SPEAKING WELL: ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SPEAKERS, LEADERS, AND PREACHERS, I was surprised at how thin and tiny it is, despite a reviewers comment on that fact. Having read MR HAMILTON’S writing before, it didn't deter me. Once I dove in, my thinking was affirmed.

SPEAKING WELL: ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SPEAKERS, LEADERS, AND PREACHERS is packed full of great information. Precise and right to the point. The perfect combination of information, instructions, and a plan for execution. I love the ending of each chapter, with a shot and simple bullet point.


Each chapter provides key information to giving a great speech. The first chapter to really hit home was chapter Three, FIND THE RIGHT STARTING POINT. As a writer it has been drilled into me the importance of grabbing your readers from the first word to get their attention enough that they want to continue reading, resulting in purchasing your book. For whatever reason I never made the connection to the concept in relations to giving a speech. MR HAMILTON’S one of two approaches is good, but for me the second had the reaction of a light bulb turning. In less than a month I am to give a quick rundown of one of the ministries I am a leader in. This is not the first time I have done this, so I realize the importance of the power needed to implement in a few words. I now have a guideline of how to execute my words thanks to MR HAMILTON’S wonderful little book on SPEAKING WELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment