Saturday, August 20, 2011

HALO

Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends; 1 edition (August 30, 2011)
Pages: 496



My fourteen-year-old daughter read HALO by ALEXANDRA ADORNETTO some months ago, and insisted that I read it as well. Like in the past with her suggestions, I didn’t warm up to the ideal immediately. But just like the others she suggested, I was happy I did.

Bethany Church is an angel sent to earth with her archangel brother, Gabriel and sister, Ivy. They’re on a mission to bring goodness back to the small town of Venus Cove, ridding it of its dark forces.

Bethany attends Bryce Hamilton High School and falls for the schools good guy, Xavier Woods. Angels aren’t supposed to be attached to humans in a romantic way, but her undying love for him has her seeking approval from the Convenant, a group of archangels. All seems well until a new student named Jake Thorn arrives. But the good-looking guy who seems to have it all isn’t what he appears to be. He wants Beth and isn’t about to take no for an answer.

I was shocked to discover the author ALEXANDRA ADORNETTO is just a teen herself. I don’t particularly care for a lot of detail, but I was in awe of Ms. Adornetto’s unique description as well as her distinct characters and accurate portrayal of teens.

I found HALO to be a refreshingly different read from the typical romance I’m accustom too. The writing was amazing, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the faith and evil aspect was presented. I appreciate the lack of foul language or inappropriate behavior.

I highly recommend HALO not only for preteens and teens, but for adults as well. As an aspiring writer I found myself wanting to reread this book to capture the author’s unique play on words. I look forward to the sequel, HADES.

No comments:

Post a Comment