Saturday, September 20, 2014

MY STUBBORN HEART by BECKY WADE


Title: My Stubborn Heart  
Author: Becky Wade
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (May 1, 2012)
Pages: 352
 
Before purchasing a book, I typically check the reviews on Amazon. Knowing they can be subjective, I don’t take too much stock in them. I read BECKY WADE’S book MEANT TO BE MINE, because of a friend’s suggestion, who knowing my love for cowboys, knew I would love it. Boy was she right. MS WADE suddenly became a favorite author of mine. So much so, I sought out other books by her, and ordered UNDENIABLY YOURS. With a large stack of books to read, I didn’t look into her other book. 
 
Not long after, I saw a post on facebook about MY STUBBORN HEART. I went to Amazon, and as I often do, looked at the one star review and then a five star one. Having read MEANT TO BE MINE, the one star review baffled me. Even though I couldn’t imagine I’d agree, and already having far too many books to read, I opted not to purchase it.
 
Sometime later, I spotted another post on facebook, and this time made up my mind to purchase it. After reading her amazing writing, I couldn’t imagine the one star review was accurate. At least not for my taste in writing and genre. 
 
I don’t recall ever being more happy about not letting my decision be swayed by a bad review. WOW! Even the best authors can have a “bad book”, and I feared it may be true with MY STUBBORN HEART because of the one star review, but I am happy to report that it is not the case. 
 
Kate Donovan’s life has been unsettled in a way that has her escaping from her ordinary life, to the solace of Redbud, Pennsylvania, with her grandmother.
 
Matt Jarreau is quiet and reserved, and with good reason, and no plans of changing. Working on restoring an old house, he never imagined it would lead to restoring his injured heart.
 
BECKY WADE’S writing is second to none. It is unique, witty, emotional, deep, moving, inspiring, and engaging. Her characters – every one of them, including the secondary characters – are three dimensional, tangible, distinctive, and memorable. Typically, if an author is good, a reader will enjoy one secondary character. But not so with MY STUBBORN HEART. I loved them all. I loved Kate’s sweet natured grandmother, but I was thrown into laughter many times with Velma’s distinctive personality, and outlandish comments.
 
MS WADE creates stories that are so realistic. So natural. She holds nothing back, yet maintains a clean, faith-based book. Not the kind of faith-based book that comes off preachy. No, it’s handled in a beautifully subtle way, with just the right amount of honest scenarios. She doesn’t write the expected, and each line is done with a natural flow. Her characters have flaws. Believable flaws. The characters journey through the book is done with seemingly effortless natural flow. I find myself laughing at her unique easygoing humor one minute, and tearing up with emotions in sympathy for a character, the next. 

I loved every chapter, every page, every word. I laughed, I cried. I read it easily, savoring every moment. Upon reading the last word, a sudden sadness came over me. Oh, how I will miss Matt and Kate.
 
I cannot wait to get started on the last MS WADE book I have to read, UNDENIABLY YOURS. I have no doubt I will be quickly emerged into a wonderful world of storytelling, and upon completion, will be waiting anxiously for the next to come out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment