Sunday, March 25, 2012

MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS by D.M. WEBB



Title: Mississippi Nights
Author: D.M. Webb
Publisher: Ambassador International (January 6, 2012)
Pages: 384

There are books that I dread reviewing because I didn't like them. Then there are those that I'm already writing one in my mind after only reading a few chapters. MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS by D.M. WEBB is the later.

Three years after Firefighter David Boyette left home, he returns to face his brother, Sgt. Jeremy Boyette. But that's not all David has to face. He has a secret he's been hiding as well.

When David encounters Maggie Goddard, the preachers beautiful daughter, there's an immediate attraction. He tries to hide his demons from her but demons have a way of eventually making themselves known.

The prolog in MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS was probably one of the most intriguing I've ever read. I can't recall one in the past that drew me in so quickly and deeply. MS. WEBB has written an amazing story with three dimensional characters, wonderful writing, original lines, with a great plot that's unpredictable throughout.

I laughed. I cried. I ached as well as rooted for the characters. MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS is a page turner that will keep you on your toes right up to the end. I was shocked at how much transpired the last hundred pages. It was packed full of action, twist, turns, surprises and more. MS WEBB'S experience as a Firefight/EMT was evident. The details phenomenal. The romance was subtle yet profound.

MS. WEBB deals with some tough issues, handled wonderfully. She plays it out perfectly, not skimping. I'm a Christian. I read a lot of Christian fiction. I'm a romantic at heart. Read lots of romances. What I found so unique about MISSISSIPPI NIGHTS is how true to life everything was carried out.

Just because one believes in God, doesn't mean they're a fully devoted/mature Christian. It's a journey unique to each individual. It was refreshing to read fiction Christian with characters that struggled with real life issues, weren't perfect, and stumbled. The characters drank, smoked, used foul language (implied), were physical (non-sexual), went to a bar, struggled with addictions, falling several times before heading on the path to recovery.

Through all of this, MS WEBB was able to weave faith and character growth. Amazing. I can't wait to see what MS WEBB has in store for future books.

No comments:

Post a Comment